Sunday, May 28, 2006

Is this it?

Could be. I don't really know. All I do know is that I certainly had expectations for London that never materialized, and most definitely encountered the unexpected, all of which tended to lean toward the positive. I won't lie, there were totally parts that pissed me off, or made me cry, or confused the hell out of me, but I would at least like to think that those helped me gain some perspective in the long run. After all, an asshole is an asshole whatever continent he may be on; running away from (or towards) something won't alter what's not malleable in the first place.

I hoped from the beginning that this experience would be good for my sanity, for one - many different issues at home were more or less erupting into me questioning whether I really even wanted to be in law school at all. I was mostly right, but the whole school thing remains one of the largest thorns in my side. Of course the jury's still out on that (and yes, I continue to have dreams that I'm engaging in the latest science-related wonderfulness. I probably should have done that, yes), but I'm very glad to have had the ability to basically sit back for a semester and evaluate what the hell was actually going on in my life. And it's not like I'd be doing anything ELSE earth-shattering if I wasn't in law school, so I'll just let it be and get that degree about a year from now (oh sweet fancy moses, that's too soon).

One of the greatest positives out of this whole thing was the opportunity to reconnect with people. I know that sounds incredibly ridiculous coming from someone who was on a different continent than most of the people she talks to, but it's true. The wonders of myspace (shut up.) and facebook apparently know no bounds, and lame as it is, I totally found about 20 people that I'd always been like "hm. I woooooooonder where _______ is."

Of course that in itself made me completely paranoid that I'd never make it home and that something dramatic and disastrous would happen to (a) the tube when I was in it, (b) the Heathrow Express, which was undergoing repairs at the time I took it and added to the drama whee! or (c) the plane would end up as that night's feature breaking news story. I probably could have used a sedative or two.

All in all, I've realized that the friends who are worth the effort are those who it was difficult, if not impossible, to lose contact with while I was several thousand miles away. The experience also helped me discover that an outside perspective really is needed to gain clarity, and I, for one, don't often do that sentiment justice. Honestly, I feel less ready to take on this third year of law school than I thought I would, but I know that I can handle it (and shit, I can always not become a lawyer. Sounds pretty damn sweet to me!) - it won't exactly be as fun as the study abroad was, but not much really is.

Finally, these are things that I must do this summer. I don't care if anyone else cares, or notices, or even reads them, but if you do and you want to give me a gentle poke in the right direction, feel free. You know you want to.

1) FIND A DAMN JOB. (ahem)

2) Get together at least once a week with my girls and just bitch bitch bitch.

3) Drive out to Philly, PA and visit Erikka like I said I would (and help her canvass the neighborhoods with leaflets, of course!)

4) Not bomb in any way, shape or form this DNR internship. Not that I would, but it's just extra incentive not to look like a complete dumbass.

5) Hold a party/barbeque for people here. Hey, we have a grill and (often) a fridge full of random alcoholic goodness, so it should be done.

6) Gain a little more clarity on several topics.

7) Have an entire week where I eat nothing but whole foodstuffs. Oh, the healthiness of it all.

8) Not bomb the classes I'm taking, either!

9) Move out of here and on with my life. Interestingly, this looks like one of them that has the highest probability. :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you drive to Philly make a stop in Columbus. I'll show you a good time. *wink, wink*

Allison

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that the easiest one should be getting a real job...any idiot can ask someone whether or not they want that to go. :)

And yes, you can use me as a reference...although I am hurt you don't have my number...it IS on the AMUN list, you know. ;)
Derek

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that the easiest one should be getting a real job...any idiot can ask someone whether or not they want that to go. :)

And yes, you can use me as a reference...although I am hurt you don't have my number...it IS on the AMUN list, you know. ;)
Derek

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home