Sunday, January 08, 2006

Four Days Down, Eight Bajillion to Go ...

Well, I've made it here for half a week. Considering that I started out by having the worst hangover known to man a few hours before taking off from O'Hare, things are progressing nicely. The apartment is a few short blocks away from a rather large main drag, so it's nice to have groceries, etc. close by. Internet is free (huzzah!), and we actually have tv's, which apparently need to be licensed here. The weather hasn't been too bad - sunny some mornings, but it almost always ends up clouding over. There's a chance of snow tonight (of COURSE, because IIIIII am here), so that should be "fun," but nothing I can't handle. I've already wowed people with my ability to wear ridiculously warm-weather-centric shoes in 30-degree temperatures. Thanks, Wisconsin!

It looks like the four of us living here will be heading to an "American BBQ Joint!" (seriously described as that - the website repeatedly hammers in the fact that it is NOT A PUB. Unfortunately) to watch the playoffs. There are really all sorts of interesting shows on over here - they're about a season or so behind some of our shows, and have this weird, manic obsession with "Big Brother." I think it's a celebrity version - I honestly have no idea, other than that it's really really strange and reminds me of the Spanish obsession with that show when i was over there.

Eh, other than that, I've just been doing my best to avoid clogging my arteries to new narrows while eating here. I've put a sort of embargo on any McDonalds, Burger King, etc. - the only exception, of course, will be Starbucks, but that's for two reasons: first, Thea gave me a card there for my birthday, and I've yet to use it up; second, there are about twenty bazillion of them in this neighborhood alone. I'll be hitting Cafe Nero soon (thanks, Alison!), so way to broaden my horizons, I know. I think right now, though, I'll quell my stomach noises by going and buying some Nutella and bread. Yesssss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home